Lately I’ve felt my spirits starting to slip a little for any number of reasons, so I thought it would be a good time for another installment of “good things.” My first two installments were “10 Good Things,” but I’ve decided to reduce it to five, so as to not overwhelm the writer or the reader. That would be you. After all, five things are plenty to sink in and give you something to ponder.
(1) Fireflies. What says summer more than they do? They have been out in full force around my house lately and they really take me back to simpler times in my life. I remember how my little gang and I used to wait until dark and then run around the neighborhood, clutching Mason jars and vying to see who could catch the most. At the time, it was just the most fun! Ah, good times.
(2) A package in the mail. I’m one of those people who actually enjoy getting the mail, bills and all. But, when I open up the box and see a package inside, I get a little surge of joy. I mean, even when you’re expecting something you have ordered, it’s nice to actually receive it. It’s like a little present to yourself. And, if it’s something you’re not expecting, well, that’s even better.
(3) Organ Donors. They are often the forgotten heroes. Last Thursday was the first episode of “Boston Med,” a documentary of actual doctors and hospitals filmed in real-time. One of the story lines was about two people waiting for a lung transplant when a healthy lung becomes available. As they interviewed the people waiting and their families, it made me so aware of what a gift it is for someone to think ahead and make their organs available. It is a really good thing.
(4) Bacon. For me, there is no aroma more welcoming than that of bacon cooking. And not just any bacon. I have found the perfect bacon. It is Oscar Mayer Louis Rich Turkey Bacon. I know, I know, you wouldn’t think turkey bacon would taste real and I’ve found that other brands don’t. But this stuff is heaven! You put two pieces on a plate folded between a paper towel, microwave them two minutes and then remove them. And you have two perfectly cooked pieces of bacon with no grease and they taste wonderful! And here’s the best part. A piece of this is 35 calories, 2.8 gms of fat. One piece of regular bacon is 120 calories! Think of that next time you want to chow down on a great BLT!
(5) Sunrises. Every morning I step out on my balcony in the dark and watch the sun rise on the horizon. And every morning I’m in awe of God’s handiwork. What better time to say my prayers?
And I can’t think of a better way to end this post.
Got some good things of your own to share? Jump right in! The comments are all yours.